Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Press conference




Euskaltel held a press conference at today's rest-day. Samu, Mikel and Haimar were all present to speak their mind on the Tour so far. Here's what they said:
  • Samu: I'm convinced that I can manage to stay with the best ones soon. I ascended the Hautacam only 16 seconds slower than Piepoli, I posted the 6th best time up that mountain. Those numbers indicate my form is good. I got dropped on the Tourmalet and I had to pay for it. But there are still several stages left, and the objective of winning a stage remains intact.
  • Mikel: I'm pleased with my efforts in the Pyrenees. We've just done two important stages and I'm well placed overall, better than I thought I would be actually. The race is still very open, so we'll continue to fight for a stage-win. To win a stage is really hard in the Tour, but that was our objective and we stand by it.
  • Haimar: The race has been hard on me. The last two days have been difficult; this was not what I hoped for. The team will be lead by Mikel and Samu, and I will support them. In addition I'll hunt for stage-wins as I'm likely to be given a bit more leeway than in years past. I feel that my form is good in this Tour, and a stage-win would be the best way to finish it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be important to know WHY Samu did not so well climbing the Tourmalet when he was so brilliant at Hautacam.
Mikel's been a revelation and i'm quite convinced he'll finish in the top 10 again...but i can't take what Haimar said !!! he was poor so far and he should know the reasons with his experience. Also, how he can hope to win a stage with this kind of form ?
Remo

Anonymous said...

The reason for Samu not being at his best at Tourmalet was propably because it was a short stage and many riders need a warm-up phase on the mountains. Therefore, I think the Alpe d'Huez stage is very suitable for him. As we know, Samu only gets better and better as the stages and mountains rolls by.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you...but it was up to Samu to tell us that !
But as you said, i'm sure he'll do like he did in the Vuelta last year in the 3rd week...well, at least i very much hope so !
Ciao

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers