Sunday, December 11, 2011

Astarloza speaks out













Mikel Astarloza granted his local newspaper, el Noticias de Gipuzkoa, a lengthy interview over the weekend - the first of its kind since returning to the Euskaltel fold in August. Here's a quick summary of what was said:

On his two-year absence:
I never stopped feeling like a professional cyclist when I was suspended. From day one it was clear my career wouldn't end like that. I lived as a pro does to the best of my ability. They were two long and hard years, but every day that passed made me happy as it meant I got closer and closer to returning.

On his sanction:
I appealed the verdict, but the case is still with the judges in Madrid. There's no news on that front. They told me cases like these usually take a while though, so I just have to stay patient. It's funny how I've already completed the suspension, and still there's no verdict.

On his stance:
Yes (I still proclaim my innocence). Of course.

On Euskaltel's support:
I'm pleased with their behaviour; I can't complain. In a situation as difficult as mine, they showed their support from the first to the last day. They opened up a spot for me, so of course I'm grateful.

On his comeback:
I returned to competition at the Vuelta a Burgos in August, so naturally my season was a tad short. I therefore tried to sustain my form 'till the end of the season, and I finished up in Lombardy in October. After that race, I couldn't do anything but relax. But it's been a good pre-season, so I'm looking forward to 2012.

On not being selected for the Vuelta a España:
I have to admit it was a blow not being picked for the Vuelta. After all, I spent the whole of 2011, from January onwards, preparing for that race. After Burgos I was told I wasn't going, and that was very annoying. I think I would have been satisfying shape. To be honest, I still don't understand why I was left out. But, hey, that's in the past. I'm not dwelling on it, I'm just looking forward to the start of the season.

On the Tour of Beijing:
Right from the start it was. We suffered badly from gastroenteritis, and obviously it's hard to get back into shape after such a bad bout. Therefore, the experience of the race and the country was bad. But I hope the other riders don't feel the same way. Obviously my view is a bit obstructed as the whole team was suffering - experiences like that put a damper on the whole thing.

On his schedule:
I'll start in Mallorca and Andalucía, but the big targets of the first few months will be Paris-Nice, Critériun International and Vuelta al País Vasco. Then I'll do the Ardennes Classics, before finishing off the first part of the season at Romandia. Then I'll take a month off, before returning at the Tour de Suisse. After that it's time for the Tour.

On repeating the stage-win of 2009:
It's a dream to repeat that win. Actually, it's an obsession. I've always dreamed of crossing the line, arms aloft, at the Tour again. It's my dream and obsession.

On his future:
My contract's up at the end of 2012, but hopefully the team keeps going and I can stay on. I just turned 32, so I think, athletically speaking, I've matured. But I'm as motivated as an 18-year-old.

1 comment:

Bolsen3 said...

I feel like he's spitting at our faces when he still claims his innocence!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers