Sunday, April 01, 2012

"I'm aiming for Arrate and Ibardin"














For once, Euskaltel will field both their two captains in their home race. Samuel Sánchez and Igor Antón have vastly different targets in the Vuelta al País Vasco though: while Samu will be aiming for that elusive overall title, the climber from Galdakao will be going for stage wins. Antón has earmarked two particular stages in which he'll aim to be in the front.

"I'll see what I can do on Arrate (Wednesday) and on the Ibardin (Thursday). I'll try to be active in this race, and if Samu needs any help in the fight for the overall I'll be glad to aid him", he told Deia.

Despite highlighting the two summit finishes, Antón is adamant that there is no one key stage in this unusually mountainous edition of the Itzulia.

"It'll be vital to not have an off-day. And, of course, do well in the closing-day time trial in Oñati. If you're going well on the last day, you might have something to say about the final outcome. As for the stages to Vitoria (Tuesday) and Oñati (Friday), they might well come down to sprints."

Speaking of his own form, the likeable 29-year-old was quietly optimistic.

"I'm feeling good. I've been working hard and, although that's no guarantee for results, I'm improving. In the Vuelta a Andalucía I finished inside the top ten a couple of days, and in the Critérium International I finished up seventh on GC. The Vuelta al País Vasco is not my big goal this year, but I'll still leave it all on the road."

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers