Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Murgoitio and Lastra going strong overseas


















The Belgian (and thus the international) cyclo-cross season commenced for real this weekend with the first race in the renamed Bpost Bank Trofee series in Ronse. And, befitting their increasing stature on the european 'cross scene, Basque team Hirumet Taldea was present with locals Egoitz Murgoitio and Jonathan Lastra.

Murgoitio, the undisputed king on the domestic circuit, finished up a creditable 26th after a strong first half of the race. The Abadiño-born rider, fresh off victory in the first Spanish Superprestigio race in Asturias 10 days ago, was cautiously optimistic afterwards.

"Although the result doesn't say a lot, I'm pleased with my rhythm and how I felt", a press release reads. "I didn't have any pain in my lower back (which troubled him in the lead-up), so that makes me happy. The level of competition was really elevated and the course was a really fast one despite the mud. I still lack a bit of strength, but I'm getting closer to what I hope to achieve this year".

Results (full results here):
  • (1, Niels Albert (BKCP-Powerplus), 57:31)
  • 26, Egoits Murgoitio (Hirumet Taldea), 5:10
As for 19-year-old Lastra (pictured above), he featured in the lead group for some time but was eventually forced to settle for 22nd - still, though, a considerable achievement considering he's barely old enough for the category. The Bilbaíno seemed equally content with his performance post-race.

"I was worried before the race as my hip was troubling me, but I felt no pain during the race. I started out well, but it was a bit too long with the pace and the level of the riders. (...) this encourages me for the future", the youngster said.

Results:
  • (1, Michael Vanthourenhout, 53:16)
  • 22, Jonathan Lastra (Hirumet Taldea), 5:10
Photo: Alex Soro

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers