Monday, January 21, 2013

Giro on the horizon for Tamouridis
















Despite being 32 years old, Ioannis Tamouridis is a relative newcomer to road racing. The multiple Greece national champion has only focused on the road exclusively for the last four years, having largely dedicated his maiden years as a cyclist to the boards.

This year, Tamouridis will take it to the next level of course, donning the famous orange garment of Euskaltel at the sport's top table. He won't take it easy to get accustomed to the longer distances and generally heavier work loads, though, with his first Grand Tour only four months away.

"I'll start the season at the Volta ao Algarve, before going on to the Tirreno-Adriatico", he told El Pedal de Frodo. "And, yes, I'll do the Giro d'Italia. I couldn't be happier to be given the chance to do that race, as I'll then become the first from my country to take part in a three-week race as well as riding on the WorldTour. I'm very pleased".

Speaking of season goals, the erstwhile SP Tableware stalwart become reticent, refraining from mentioning any races in particular. Obviously, though, given his background from the track, the time trials will be an aim.

"I hope to do well, help the team captains and generally just do the work I have to do", he said. "As well I hope to perform in races that include time trials and in hard races without big climbs - for stuff like that, this team already has a number of strong riders."

To round things off, Tamouridis added another voice to the chorus of riders waxing lyrical about the integration of the new riders into an already tight-knit group at the mainly Basque team.

"People here are very friendly, and therefore I'm glad to have joined this team. I'm very content, and I want to pay them back for the trust they've shown in me.

"For now, this team is like my second family. I feel at home here".

Photo: http://ioannistamouridis.com/

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers